Park: Northside Park
Looking for Northside Park Renovation Project information? Click here.
Location: Main entrance located at noth end of West St., secondary parking at intersection of Darling St. and Armbrust Ave.
Description: Northside is the second oldest park in Wheaton, and probably the most consistently used. The land for the park was purchased by the park district in 1927, and in the mid-30s the existing sanitary sewer was moved. The north ditch, which formed the Northside lagoon, was dug by hand as part of a Works Progress Administration project. The little island in the lagoon is named for the Wheaton Park District's first female commissioner, Bertha Robinson Murray. The park is the site of one of the Wheaton Park District's two swimming pools, and is noteworthy also as the site of the Rotary Creative Play Area, the first playground in the area created for use by both disabled and non-disabled children.
Building/Facilities (Partially Accessible)
Public Washrooms (Accessible)
Drinking Fountain (Accessible)
Picnic Shelter (Accessible)
Four Baskeball Courts
Six Lighted Tennis Courts
Two Soccer Fields
Open Play/Grass Field
Tot Lot (5 & under) (Accessible)
Playground (6-12) (Partially Accessible)
Girl Scout Cabin
Boy Scout Cabin (Nonaccessible)